Starbucks Banana Walnut Bread

It's terrific and very easy to make. The texture is perfectly moist, somewhat light. Not dense or rubbery like some banana breads. The perfect amount of banana flavor in this bread. I did not add walnuts, as I do not care for walnuts and neither does anyone in my family. Years ago I came across a banana bread recipe that included a thin layer of brown sugar/cinnamon struesel in the middle of the loaf. At first I could not imagine that combination in a banana bread but I tried it and have added that struesel layer to every single banana bread that I make, including this one. It was an outstanding addition. I simply mix about 1/2 cup brown sugar with about 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon and sprinkle it over a thin layer of batter already poured into the pan. I then put additional batter on top, and then bake! I sometimes sprinkle some of the mixture on top of the uncooked loaf too. Voila! A nice sweet gooey brown sugar layer with a bit of cinnamon spice. Try it! I'm telling ya, you will never make plain banana bread again.
I made a double recipe and it made a perfect 7 mini loaves.
I will definitely be making this recipe again. It's one of my favorites, if not my very favorite banana bread recipe.

Starbucks Banana Walnut Bread

  •     3 ripe bananas, peeled and mashed
  •     1/2 cup vegetable oil
  •     1 egg
  •     1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
  •     1 cup sugar
  •     2 cups flour
  •     1 teaspoon baking soda
  •     1/4 teaspoon salt
  •     2 teaspoons buttermilk or milk
  •     1 cup chopped walnuts
  1.     Preheat oven to 325 degrees and grease one loaf pan
  2.     Mix sugar, oil, egg, vanilla, buttermilk, and bananas in a mixing bowl. Combine completely.
  3.     Add in flour, soda, and salt, and 1/2 cup of the walnuts.
  4.     Pour into the pan, sprinkle the remaining 1/2 cup walnuts over the top of the batter slightly pressing in the walnuts.
  5.     Bake for 45 to 60 minutes. Use a tester to check if it is cooked internally.
  6.     Cool and remove from the pan.

Struesel Layer

  • 1/2 cup brown sugar
  • 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
  • (these are approximate amounts. add more or less struesel, depending on your taste)

Mix together & sprinkle the mixture over a thin layer of batter in a prepared loaf pan. Cover with additional batter and bake.